One of the great things with S-Model kits is that you get two kits in one box. For a wargamer this is always a bonus but it also gives you the opportunity to play around with some of those factory or field made variants.
Both the Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. B Ohne Aufbau (means "without superstructure") and the Instandsetzungskraftwagen (means "Repairvehicle") were build in factory versions as well as field made versions. And both versions also appeared in the earlier PzKpfw. I Ausf. A.
|Pz.Kpfw. I Auf. B Ohne Aufbau|
|Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. B Instandsetzungskraftwagen - with French tracked trailer|
Building or converting these versions from the excellent S-Model kit (reviewed a couple of times on this blog) was pretty straight forward. I am by no means a constructor modeller so every time I enter this field I feel very uncomfortable - and I instinctively rush my projects. Well, this is how it is and I'm fine with that.
First of all I cut off the superstructure and I filled the holes on the side fenders with plastic card and putty. Being a sloppy builder I didn't bothrer to reconstruct the tread pattern - nice touch though if you don't mind the extra work.
From here it was pretty easy going (to me at least); I added (scratchbuild) the engine firewall, drive shaft, engine, seat, etc. to a level of detail that I can accept. Again adding more detail and stuff would make a better model.
|The S-Model kit has no air intake louvres - the easy way is to cut these carefully with a hobby knife|
One more thing I did was to drill two small holes in each segment of the tracks in order to make these look more like those skinny Pz.Kpfw. I tracks.
So after a lot of sanding and filling I was satisfied with the result - I was sure I had taken some pictures from this proces but again probably not (I don't enjoy building very much..).
And this is the "Instandsetzungskraftwagen" also after Tamiya Dark Grey + Black Panelliner. I have added some scratchbuild stuff, leadfoil tarpaulins and extra jerry cans. Perhaps these guys were moving spare parts for some Stugs further down the line.
All I did after this was doing a bit of weathering - especially on the "Instandsetzungskraftwagen" which also got a field made windscreen.
And that was it... I - sort of - enjoyed these two small conversions. But I have to work with my inner-builder-modellist - for sure...